Past events at MIOT
MIOT International - BMT Inauguration, Haplo - identical BMT first time in India - 09 May 2013
MIOT International announces First Ever Haplo-identical Transplant in India at the world class MIOT Institute of Haematology, Haemato-Oncology & Bone Marrow Transplant
- Bone Marrow Transplants are the only permanent solution for blood cancers, Thalassemia and Auto-immune deficiencies.
- 1 million Bone Marrow Transplants have been done globally upto February 2013. In India the number of transplants done is a meagre 2500 (approx).
- Very few health providers in India have invested in the sophisticated infrastructure and expertise required for a Bone Marrow Transplant.
- The biggest challenge in Bone Marrow Transplants is finding matching donors. We have over 40,000 patients waiting for a matching donor today in India.
- We have no organized domestic Registry of Donors in India. Hence we are dependent on donors from the West which makes it very expensive.
- Today a Bone Marrow Transplant procedure in India costs between Rs. 20-25 lakhs, with an additional 10 lakhs for sourcing stem cells.
First Time in India
MIOT International through its first ever Haplo-identical Transplant opens doors to thousands of patients with two main benefits , both for the first time in India:
- Bone Marrow transplants can now be done even with a 50% matching donor and still have 100% results. This makes it much easier for patients to find a donor.
- MIOT International can offer Bone Marrow transplants at Rs. 10-15 lakhs, the most economical in the country today.
State-of-the-art Centre – First of its kind
- These transplants are being done at the MIOT Institute of Haematology, Haemato-Oncology & Bone Marrow Transplant, which has the most advanced in infrastructure and expertise in the country today.
- The Institute also performs other transplants like Autologous (5-10 lakhs), Allogeneic & Cord Blood transplants.
- The MIOT Team includes haematologists, haemato-pathologists, haemato-oncologists, radio-oncologists, lab technicians, nutritionists, trained nurses and counsellors, all of whom are required for a successful Transplant Programme.
- Transplants require complex pre and post treatment procedures. The Institute handles end to end treatment, from diagnosis and pre transplant treatments to post recovery, with the support of MIOT’s world class Oncology Centre and the 24-hour state-of- the-art Laboratory (ranked 8th in the world).
Specialist Care for Blood related diseases
- There are over 72 blood disorders and diseases, many of which go undiagnosed and untreated in our country because of poor infrastructure and expertise.
- The Institute handles the treatment and management of the entire gamut of blood disorders & diseases including malignant diseases like blood cancers like leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma and non-malignant disorders like anaemia, thalassemia, thrombocytopenia, bleeding and clotting disorders etc.
Other Specialized Services
The MIOT Institute of Haematology, Haemato-Oncology & BMT offers a holistic approach in managing all blood disorders, across all age groups. Its services include:
- Treatment of complex haematology cases such as neutropenia (low white cells), thrombocytopenia (low platelets).
- Blood and blood product support, including single donor apheresed platelets, leuco-depleted and irradiated blood products.
- Performing bone marrow biopsy, bone marrow harvest, intrathecal chemotherapy etc.
- Diagnosis of haematological problems, i.e. reporting on bone marrows, blood films, flow cytometry, etc
- In-patient, out-patient and daycare chemotherapy for complex haematological cancers like leukemia, myeloma, lymphoma etc.
- Sophisticated laboratory facilities, ranked 8th internationally, manned by expert specialists and technicians, including internationally trained haemato-pathologists.
- State-of-the-art apheresis machines, crucial for stem cell, platelet & other component collection and also for certain therapeutic procedures
- Cryopreservation Unit (processing and freezing unit) for stem cells, to ensure long term storage under strict aseptic environment.
- 5 HEPA filtered pressure controlled individual rooms with en suite facilities, to minimize airborne infections, vital to the patient’s wellbeing after bone marrow transplantation.
- 24 hour Blood Bank with leucodepleted blood
Events: BMT Inauguration, Haplo – identical BMT first time in India
Location: MIOT Hospitals, Chennai, India.
Date: 9th May 2013
Chief Guest - Rt. Hon. Kenneth Clarke, MP, UK Cabinet Minister and Health Envoy - Welcomed by Prof. PVA Mohandas & Dr. Prithvi Mohandas
Introductory speech by Dr. Prithvi Mohandas
Grand Inauguration of Inauguration of MIOT Institute of Haematology, Haemato-Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplant
MIOT Institute of Haematology, Haemato-Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplant - Speech by Dr. Chezhian Subash
Lamp lightening on the occasion of inauguration
MOU Signed between MIOT and Whittington Hospital - Dr. Nick Harper - Divisional Director, Surgery, Cancer and Diagnostics, Whittington NHS, London
MOU Signed between MIOT and Whittington Hospital - Dr. Prithvi Mohandas - Joint Managing Director, MIOT Hospitals