Diabetes Mellitus is a group of diseases that affects how your body uses the glucose in your blood, and affects virtually every part of the body. The Department of Diabetology offers state-of-the-art services which cover early screening and the latest treatments for this complex condition besides teaching patients how to manage the disease and prevent related complications
A global pandemic
Diabetes Mellitus has assumed pandemic proportions around the world today and is, indeed, the scourge of the modern era. There are over 300 million diabetics worldwide and the number is expected to double over the next five years. India, with its huge diabetic population, holds the dubious distinction of being dubbed the Diabetic Capital of the World.
Chronic diabetic conditions include Type 1 diabetes and Type 2 diabetes. Patients with diabetes have too much glucose in their systems and long term complications of diabetes, regardless of the type, can be life-threatening and disabling. Some of them are:
- Cardiovascular disease, including coronary artery disease with chest pain (angina), heart attack, stroke and narrowing of arteries (atherosclerosis)
- Nerve damage (neuropathy), which can result in the loss of feeling and more
- Kidney damage (nephropathy), which could result in kidney failure or irreversible end-stage kidney disease
- Eye damage (retinopathy) that could lead to blindness, cataracts and glaucoma
- Foot damage, which might require amputation
- Skin and mouth conditions including bacterial and fungal infections and gum infections
- Alzhiemer’s disease
Total diabetes care
At MIOT, we manage diabetes as a team: our diabetologist works closely with the diabetes counsellor and nurse to offer patients complete care.
MIOT has advanced facilities to screen, monitor and keep tabs on this condition. Screening for diabetes complications is thorough and extensive, and includes the eyes, heart, kidneys, feet, blood and peripheral vascular system.
Tests include fundoscopy and retinal photographic documentation, cardiac autonomic neuropathy screening, screening for micro albuminuria, renal function tests and renal ultrasonography, biothesiometry, filament testing and HCP studies, podoscopy and biochemical tests like lipid profile, Apo Proteon studies, and blood sugar estimation, all of which are available in the comprehensive Diabetic Health Check-Up Package.
Other facilities available include 24-hour blood glucose monitoring through real time continuous glucose monitoring systems. Insulin pump services are also available.
Treatments & Procedures
- Diabetic retinopathy screening – fundoscopy and retinal photographic documentation
- Diabetic heart check up – ECG, treadmill, echo and cardiac autonomic neuropathy screening
- Diabetic kidney check-up – microalbuminuria renal function tests and renal ultrasonography
- Diabetic peripheral vascular screening – Doppler and ABI measurement
- Diabetic neuropathy screening – biothesiometry, filament testing and HCP study; sophisticated nerve conduction velocity studies are also available
- Diabetic foot study with podoscope
- Regular blood tests – includes lipid profile, APO proteon studies, blood sugar estimates, etc.