MIOT Advanced Centre for Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases
The MIOT Advanced Centre for Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases (MACGILD) was established in response to the spiralling increase in gastrointestinal and liver diseases. The Centre’s gastroenterology treatment and services cover the complete spectrum of conditions, from ulcers to cancers. Our approach to treatment is integrated and holistic, with customised therapies and preference for the least-interventional option.
- The MIOT Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Centre for Surgery and Transplantation performs surgery and Liver Transplants, pancreas and biliary tree, with excellent results.
- The MIOT Advanced Centre for Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases offers comprehensive diagnosis and treatment of all the diseases and conditions that affect the GI tract and hepato-pancreato-biliary system.
- MACGILD has some of the world’s most-advanced diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, which can pick up abnormalities at an early stage and even prevent the onset of the disease itself as they detect predisposition.
- The ERBE GI Workstation has facilities for Argon Plasma Coagulation and Thermal Therapy for haemostasis, which enable doctors to tackle acute gastrointestinal bleeding. Its Hybrid Knife uses a jet to raise the mucosa to remove early cancers.
A multi-organ process
The last few decades have seen a significant increase in the incidence of diseases of the digestive system. However, they are ignored or treated inadequately because their symptoms do not present as major irritants. Over time they worsen, affecting other body systems and the patient’s emotions and behaviour. Often, a diagnosis is made only when the disease has advance and treatment options are limited.
The MIOT Advanced Centre for Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases (MACGILD) combines the skills of experienced gastroenterologists with advanced diagnostic facilities and the latest treatments to offer patients world-class care.
360 degree care
The process of digestion has many stages and involves a number of organs and other components.
The upper GI (gastroenterological) tract of the digestive system is comprised of the oesophagus, stomach and the duodenum, while the lower GI tract is made up of the large and small intestines, and the anus.
MIOT offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities and the latest endoscopic procedures through the medical gastroenterology department to deal with the gamut of diseases – like gastroenteritis – that affect the organs of the upper and lower GI / digestive tract.
Surgical treatment, including open and laparoscopic surgery, is offered by the surgical gastroenterology department.
The liver, pancreas, gallbladder and bile-ducts, together, make up the hepato-pancreato-biliary system, which plays a vital role in the processing of food, absorption of nutrition and disposal of waste. MACGILD is one of the few centres in the world with a dedicated unit for hepato-pancreato-biliary surgery, which offers specialised hepatobiliary care, including liver transplant.
The Centre also offers weight-loss surgery to manage obesity in the long term.
MACGILD’s top-notch facilities include dedicated, laminar-flow operation theatres with infection-free systems, ICUs and the latest instrumentation. It is supported by MIOT’s sophisticated laboratory and advanced radiology and imaging facilities.
Often, the Centre’s expert specialists – gastroenterologists, endoscopists, hepatologists, paediatric gastroenterologists and gastrointestinal surgeons – work together with specialists from other departments, such as oncology and interventional radiology, to offer patients complete and innovative care.
Disease-prevention is the priority
MACGILD gives high priority to screening and prevention of disease as well as the management of lifestyle diseases to prevent their progression.
Its various programmes include:
- A Jaundice Clinic to diagnose and manage all forms of jaundice.
- An Immunisation Clinic for immunisation against Hepatitis B.
- A specially-staffed and equipped Paediatric Gastroenterology Clinic that deals with all health care problems related to the stomach, intestine and liver in children – a facility offered in few healthcare centres in the country.
- A GI-LIVER diseases Master Health Check for adults, available at a subsidised rate