The Department of Urology offers complete outpatient and inpatient services related to of the male and female urinary tract and the male reproductive system. In fact, it is one of Chennai’s top referral centres for diagnosis, treatment, management and care in this speciality with some of the best urologists in Chennai.
Complete urological care
The kidneys, adrenal glands, ureters, urinary bladder, urethra and male reproductive organs come under the purview of the urologist. Typically, the patients we see in MIOT International’s urology department are referred to us with kidney stones and ureteric stones, prostate enlargement, stricture urethra, hydronephrosis, kidney tumours, prostate and urinary bladder cancers, male infertility and sexual dysfunction.
Renal, bladder, ureteral, prostate and testicular tumours are treated at the Department, along with specialists from the MIOT Institute of Cancer Cure. Most tumours are treated laparoscopically. A dedicated team offers stoma care for those who require urostomy.
A screening programme for bladder and prostate cancers is also offered.
The Department has all the latest endo-urological instruments including a laser machine for expert management of elective and emergency urological procedures. Most of the extirpative and reconstructive urological procedures are done by laparoscopic methods at MIOT International. In renal transplantation, the renal graft is often procured through laparoscopic donor nephrectomy. Cancers that involve the kidneys, bladder and ureter are also dealt with laparoscopically.
Our surgeons in our urology department routinely perform complex procedures such as complete reconstruction of the urinary tract, repair of uro-gynecological fistulae, reconstruction of urethral strictures, and reconstruction for diseases like TB and following cancer surgery. Surgical correction is done of congenital abnormalities like congenital pelvi-ureteric obstruction, megaureter and vesico-ureteric reflux, and of genital anomalies like hypospadias, epispadias exstrophy complex and cryptorchidism.
MIOT has a Continence Clinic where comprehensive evaluation of incontinence is done for both women and men. Advanced procedures such as TVT (Tension-free Vaginal Tape), Transobturator Tape (TOT), laparoscopic colposuspension and advanced pelvic floor mesh repair are done in females for incontinence. Male perineal slings and advanced reconstructive procedures are done for male incontinence.
MIOT International’s Department of Urology offers a bladder rehabilitation programme for patients with diseases involving the spinal cord and bladder, such as myelodysplasia, multiple sclerosis, Parkinsonism, cerebrovascular accidents and spinal cord trauma or tumours. Advanced urodynamic tests enable the correct diagnosis of bladder involvement in neurological illness. The bladder rehabilitation programme is an essential part of the comprehensive spinal rehabilitation programme which takes care of bowel, bladder and locomotor disturbances.
The Department also has a number of specialised programmes to screen for diseases, deal with infertility and sexual dysfunction, manage incontinence and help patients make lifestyle modifications as part of their treatment.
Treatments & Procedures
- Complete minimally invasive urinary-stone management
- Rigid ureteroscopy for treatment of ureteric stones of all sizes and locations
- Retrograde intrarenal surgery (RIRS) for kidney stones
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL) for large renal stones
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) to treat stones of the urinary tract
- Lower tract endourology to treat prostate tumours (TURP), bladder tumours (TURBT), urethral strictures and bladder stones
- Management of acute urinary tract trauma
- Reconstructive urology
Reconstruction of urinary tract
Repair of uro-gynaecological fistulae
Reconstruction of urethral stricture
Reconstruction for diseases like TB and following cancer surgery
- Correction of congenital abnormalities like congenital pelviureteric obstruction, megaureter, vesicoureteric reflux
- Correction of genital anomalies like hypospadias, epispadias exstrophy complex and cryptorchidism
- Incontinence management
- Neurourology and urodynamics for bladder problems secondary to spinal and brain disorders
- Urolithiasis Clinic, to evaluate patients who have urinary stones
- Prostate Clinic, for men above the age of 50 years, which screens for prostate-related ailments
- Uro-oncology Clinic, for screening, early diagnosis and staging of cancers involving kidney, urinary bladder, prostate and testes
- Andrology and Male Infertility Clinic, to deal with erectile dysfunction, ejaculatory disorders and male infertility
- Continence Clinic, for screening and treatment for urinary incontinence in both men and women
The MIOT International Urology Health Initiative, which screens for and offers education on preventable conditions involving the urinary tract.