Current events at MIOT
1st time in the history of India, MIOT has gone one step ahead in providing INTER-CONTINENTAL SHARED CARE for the treatment of Cancer.
Seen in the photograph from left to right: Dr. Karthik Maruthachalam, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Bariatric & Advanced Laparoscopic Surgeon, MIOT International., Dr. Chelliah R Selvasekar, Colorectal Surgery, Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery Specialist, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, • Dr. Richard Cowan, Director of The Christie School of Oncology, Mrs. Mallika Mohandas, Chairman MIOT International, Dr. Venkatesan Srinivasan, Head of Radiation Oncology, MIOT International. (Press meet event on 14th Dec 2017 at MIOT)
Cancer is the most dreaded diagnosis in the world. Cancer is a class of diseases characterized by out-of-control cell growth. There are over 100 different types of cancer, and each is classified by the type of cell that is initially affected.
The National Institute for Cancer Prevention and Research has estimated that 2.5million people are living with cancer in India. Every year, over 7 lakh new cases are registered and are expected to cross 17.5 lakh by 2020. The cancer related deaths in 2016 in India was 5,56,400.
Precision diagnostic tools today give faster and definite diagnosis and an accurate prognosis of the cancer. Advances in genetic studies have opened up a whole new world of treatment alternatives in Oncology. Together they have brought dramatic turnarounds in patient outcomes with survival rates going up from 24% to over 50% and most patients having longer, productive life spans.
But the story is not the same everywhere. Also when every cancer and every patient is different, how can treatments remain the same?
Earlier, when a patient is diagnosed with cancer the treatment was based on a single doctor (oncologist). He will determine the course of treatment. In the last 5-6yrs, the process followed in few hospitals across the world will be to have a Tumor board. This tumor board will consist of cancer specialist from different modalities/specialty of the same hospital discussing on the suitable modalities of treatment that were organ specific.
But for the 1st time in the history of India, MIOT has gone one step ahead in providing INTER-CONTINENTAL SHARED CARE for the treatment of Cancer. Today MIOT International signed a MOU with The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK to benefit the patients suffering from advanced stage cancers through the “MIOT International – The Christie NHS Foundation Trust Cancer Care” association.
“MIOT International – The Christie NHS Foundation Trust Cancer Care”:
The Christie NHS Foundation Trust provides treatment that no other hospital in the globe can provide in terms of cancer treatment. MIOT International & The Christie NHS Foundation Trust will jointly evolve strategies to treat cancer more effectively which will help the patients get the best possible treatment available for cancer cure.
- The Christie NHS Foundation Trust will train and accredit the Doctors & nurses at MIOT International towards international standard.
- “MIOT International – The Christie NHS Foundation Trust” association will benefit MIOT International to practice and enhance its international standard towards patient care in cancer treatments.
- MOU between ” MIOT International – The Christie NHS Foundation Trust” will help patients get the best possible treatment available for cancer.
- MIOT International will follow same standards even in nursing care that The Christie NHS Foundation Trust has set.
- This partnership between MIOT International & The Christie NHS Foundation Trust will help sharing of vital data to cure cancer patients with advanced cancers.
- This association will allow Indian patients with advanced stage cancer to be transferred to The Christie NHS Foundation Trust if required for further treatment.
- Proton Beam Radiotherapy and Robotic Surgery which are available at The Christie NHS Foundation Trust will be given to patients as option.
Following a joint strategy to fight cancer and achieve better results – “Never before in the History of India”
The Christie NHS Foundation Trust:
From its establishment in the early 1890s to the present day, The Christie is renowned as a world pioneer in cancer care, treatment, research and education. Based in Manchester in the North West of England, they are Europe’s largest single site cancer center and the first UK center to be officially accredited by the Organization of European Cancer Institutes as a Comprehensive Cancer Centre.
The Christie have recently been named as the world’s most technologically advanced cancer center due to their advances in radiotherapy, proton beam therapy, brachytherapy, chemotherapy, robotic surgery, advanced imaging techniques, and our integrated clinical trials unit.
As part of the National Health Service (NHS) The Christie is one of two dedicated cancer centers in the UK. They provide treatment at one of the largest radiotherapy services internationally with the full range of specialist technology. They also run the UK’s largest chemotherapy unit and are national leader in the provision of highly specialist surgery for complex and rare cancers.
The Christie has the only dedicated School of Oncology in the UK, established to promote specialist training and education. We provide internationally accredited courses and skills based training, enabling clinical staff to practice to the highest standard.
MIOT Institute of Cancer Cure:
The MIOT Institute for Cancer Cure (MICC) is a Centre of Excellence that offers patients across age groups, complete treatment from diagnosis to cure, under one roof – in an environment that is positive and respects their dignity. Our cutting edge treatments are customized for definite results since cancer affects each of us differently. The state-of-the-art facilities available at MIOT are,
- In MICC’s armory are the sophisticated Dual Head Gamma Camerawith its advanced workstation, and the 64-slice PET CT, which give our specialists detailed information about various organ systems in as little as 15 minutes.
- We offer our patients the revolutionary TrueBeam STx, the most advanced radiotherapy in the world – MIOT is 1st in Asia Pacific to offer this technology.
- MICC’s 24-hour lab, spread across 6000 sq. ft, is ranked 8th in the world. Manned by expert technicians, it has high-level automation and stringent quality-control systems in place.
- MIOT’s experienced oncologists are abreast with the latest oral and injectable drugs, including those that target and cure specific cancers.
- Dedicated Tumour Board, which comprises of specialists from the three treatment modes – medicine, surgery and radiation – as well as specialists from gastroenterology, orthopaedics, neurosurgery, cosmetic surgery, interventional radiology, etc.