Our journey began as a 70-bed hospital for orthopaedics and trauma. In the fifteen years since, there have been no compromises nor looking back as we’ve grown, learned and helped thousands find good health and relief from pain.
Here are some of the highlights:
1996 – 97
- Began construction of MIOT Hospitals
Feb 12, 1999
- Opened the doors of the 70-bed MIOT Hospitals to patients
2002 – 03
- Expanded from orthopaedics and trauma to thoracic and cardiovascular care, with the addition of the Department of Cardiology and Interventional Cardiology
- Increased number of beds to 200
- Added the Departments of Neurosurgery, Maxillofacial Surgery, Laparoscopic and Endoscopic Surgeries, Plastic Surgery, Vascular Surgery, Ophthalmology, ENT & Head & Neck Surgery, Gynaecology and Diabetology
- Installed open MRI, Spiral CT and work station, including Whole Body Densitometry for the Department of Imaging Sciences
- Laid the foundation for an exclusive facility for Nursing
- Awarded Niryat Shree Gold award for the highest foreign exchange earner in the health sector.
- Launched computer navigation in joint replacement surgery; first hospital in Asia Pacific to do so
- Introduced keyhole surgery for hip, knee, spine and endoscopic surgeries
- Launched MIOT Retreat
- Started MIOT College of Nursing
- Added next-gen Digital Cath Lab to MIOT’s facilities
- Installed 64 Slice CT, MRI 1.5 Tesla, and top-end Nuclear Scan with Dual Head Gama Camera in the Department of Imaging Sciences
- Introduced pinhole surgery in India
- Inaugurated the MIOT Centre for Children’s Cardiac Care
- Started CHIME to help underprivileged children with heart disease
- Opened the MIOT Institute of Research
- MIOT Centre for Ideal Joints formally launched Joint for Life Programme
- Started METAA (MIOT Endovascular Training on Aortic Aneurysms) to share MIOT’s knowledge with other specialists
- Launched Institute of Nephrology, a centre of excellence for complete kidney care, including kidney transplants
- MIOT celebrated its 10th anniversary
- Laid the foundation for the new wing of MIOT hospitals with 500 beds + 90 ICU beds and 11 operating rooms
- Launched MODE (MIOT Organ Drive)
- Received the “Niryat Shree” Bronze Trophy for the year 2009-2010 in the category of service provider generating highest foreign exchange
- Launched MIOT Academy of Allied Health Sciences (MAAHS), offering para medical courses
- On March 9, 2011 our cardiac team achieved a medical breakthrough in the Surgical Treatment of acute dissection of the aorta – The Frozen Elephant Trunk Operation Using Hybrid Graft.
- Launched Liver for Life programme to raise awareness about Hepatitis B and encourage people to get vaccinated. More than 8000 people were screened and vaccinated on day one
- Under our aegis the Indo–German Orthopaedic Foundation (IGOF) conducted several courses – like the Master’s course on Pelvic fractures, Complex Revision Hip replacements and Revision Knee replacements in March 2011.
- On 30th September, our Cardio Thoracic Surgeons did us proud by successfully operating on a 5 year old child from Bangladesh who had been operated upon 4 times already elsewhere for a Leaking Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm in the lungs. This is the first time in the world that such a complex procedure was undertaken.
- We are indeed proud and happy to note that in 2011 MIOT was able to perform free heart surgeries for 94 children from the lower socio-economic group who were affected by congenital heart diseases. This was made possible by the support of our CHIME trust. CHIME trust was started in Sep 2007 and till date 452 children have benefited by CHIME.
- Launched the Indo-British Health Initiative (IBHI) in association with the British High Commission to foster mutually beneficial relationships between healthcare professionals from Indian and UK.
- Inaugurated MIOT Revive, a dedicated centre for heart care and emergency care
- Opened the state-of-the-art MIOT Institute of Cancer Cure offering surgical, medical and radiation oncology
- Bagged Niryat Shree – Gold Award for the year 2009-2010 in the Service Provider Category
- Performed first liver transplant
- Completed 19 successful liver transplants that year.
- Launched the MIOT Institute of Haematology, Haemato-oncology and Bone Marrow Transplant
- Performed India’s first haploidentical bone marrow transplant, a complex type of BMT where the donor cells are not a perfect match to the recipient’s cells
- With the conscience of creating awareness on cancer and strongly emphasize the fact that cancer is curable, MIOT International and IBHI successfully organized Cancer Awareness Walk called CAREWALK on 11th August, 2013.
- Almost 100 top cancer specialists (50 Indian and 50 United Kingdom) representing the world’s top cancer institutions are came together on the 6th & 7th September 2013 during the IBHI Indo-UK Oncology Summit –an event organized by IBHI and MIOT International.
- An emergency life saving complex heart surgery performed on a 25-year old female who had undergone Heart Transplant 4 years ago elsewhere. This corrective surgery is been done for the 1st Time in India.
- Inauguration of “First of its Kind” Transfusion Medicine Department which brings together Component Separation, Aphaeresis And Leucocyte Filtration – all under one roof.
- The very popular ONLY Women marathon was held for the first time in Chennai to raise awareness on Breast Cancer led by MIOT International and Pinkathon. More than 6,000 women participated in the MIOT Pinkathon, which literally turned the Chennai city pink!
- 30,000 joint replacement surgeries at MIOT International, a figure that ranks among the highest recorded by a single Hospital in the world. We conceived and set up the MIOT Museum of Arthroplasty, a first in Asia to mark the occasion
- MIOT International organized Hepatitis B Free Screening & Vaccination program in view of World Hepatitis Day on July 2014. Almost 1,000 children from various schools were vaccinated.
- The two day Indo-UK Oncology Summit in November , organised jointly by MIOT International and the IBHI (indo-British Health Initiative), focussed on Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC), the latest and most advanced technique for abdominal cancers.
- CHIME celebrated its 7 anniversary this September. The trust had so far completed 811 surgeries / procedures free of cost for children suffering from congenital heart diseases.
- For the first time in South East Asia, MIOT organised a 2 day International Workshop on Aneurysm surgery which turned out to be the largest of its kind. Leading experts from different corners of the world – Italy, Belgium, New Zealand, China, Brazil and United States including 200 senior Cardio Thoracic & Vascular surgeons from all over India attended.
- MIOT performed its Maiden Heart transplant successfully. It was part of a multi-organ transplant involving two other critical organs – liver and kidney. All three transplants were done simultaneously, in a single phase.
- Surgery performed 1st time in the world at MIOT International. We\’ve successfully carried out the repair of a large ascending aorta and the aortic valve in a patient with hemophilia.
- MIOT International Raises Public Awareness on Liver care with 2 unique Initiatives.
- MIOT International Raises Public Awareness on to prevent, diagnose and correct various conditions of the heart diseases before permanent damage sets in.
- For the 1st & 2nd TIME IN INDIA Successful Kidney Transplantation for Children with Rare Kidney Disease.
- First time in India – FRCS Exit Exam Course conducted in General surgery (Preparatory Course) @ MIOT International Chennai. The prestigious exit exam of the Royal College of Surgeons UK is only given to UK doctors trained in the UK. Now, for the 1st time, overseas doctors can take this exam without spending 6-8 years in the UK.
- Federation of Indian Export Organization (FIEO), has conferred MIOT International, Chennai with “FIEO SOUTHERN REGION EXPORT EXCELLENCE AWARD” for the year 2013 – 2014 in the category of BEST SERVICE PROVIDER, SOUTHERN REGION (Gold). MIOT International has been conferred the award for the 5th time by FIEO.
- MIOT’s Neurosurgeons successfully performs a rare and intricate aneurysm clipping procedure to save 60 year old patient from life-threatening brain aneurysm leaving her with zero brain damage.
- MIOT Team of doctors successfully performed an Emergency Liver Transplantation for a rapidly deteriorating 26 year old mother with severely damaged Liver. The surgery lased for 7 hours the patient was out of life supports within the 24 hours of the surgery.